- A lit soy candle should always be within your sight. Place on a protected, heat-resistant, dry surface, away from anything that can catch fire, and out of reach of children and pets.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never burn a soy candle on or near any object that could be reached by the flame.
- Keep all candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Read and follow all manufacturer instructions carefully.
- Extinguish the flame if it comes too close to the container to keep the container from getting too hot.
- Always burn your soy candle on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
- Keep burning soy candles away from drafts and vents.
- Handle with care; glass containers are fragile. Do not use if the jar is cracked, chipped or scratched. Do not refill with wax.
- If smoking occurs, check for drafts or high traffic areas, which may cause flame to flicker and smoke.
- Extinguish a candle if it smokes, flickers repeatedly, or the flame becomes too high. Cool, trim wick and re-light.
- Do not allow the flame to touch the side of the jar. The jar may become hot. Handle carefully.
- Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Always burn soy candles in a well-ventilated room.
- Never touch or move any soy candle when the wax is still melted.
- Burn your soy candle until it is melted completely across the top. This will help prevent your soy candle from tunneling (burning down in the center). It does not affect the quality of the candle if some wax is left on the sides. The amount will vary per fragrance and burning conditions.
- To dispose of unwanted soy wax, pour the wax in a trash can or something similar. Please do not pour wax down the sink drain, IT WILL CLOG YOUR SINK!
- Extinguish your soy candle with a wick dipper if it smokes, flickers repeatedly, or the flame becomes larger that 1" high.
- Prevent possible heat damage to the counter/surface by discontinuing use when 1/2 inches of the wax remains in the container to ensure safety. Only burn in a suitable holder, or on a plate or other fire and heat resistant surface.
- Do not burn soy candles for more than 3 hours at a time.
- Extinguish carefully before replacing any lid.
Getting the most out of your Soy Candle Fragrance
When you light your soy candle for the very first time, it is important to allow it to burn for 2-1/2 to 3 hours! Soy wax has a "memory" which helps to keep the candle from "tunneling" down the center of the container. Tunneling is one of the main causes for a candle not creating much fragrance while burning. By allowing your soy candles to create the initial "memory burn", thus creating a full melt pool of wax, you are increasing the candles scent throw!
You should burn your candle 1 hour for each inch of its diameter, until you receive a full melt pool (soy wax is melted across the entire top). A candle 3" in diameter should be burned for three hours to establish it's memory. This allows your candle to get its full melt pool which will increase the scent throw of the candle. If a soy candle isn't given a proper memory burn, especially on the first burn, it can cause your candle to not provide a good scent throw.
If your candle has been burning for at least an hour and you still don't feel it is fragrant, try leaving the room or walking outside for at least 10 minutes, then come back in. This will allow your olfactory senses time to adjust. Many times you will fine, the olfactory becomes accustomed to all surrounding aromas and blocks them. When returning you should then smell the fragrance. Although our soy candles are highly fragrant, sometimes the modern homes/buildings we live in have very large open-floor plans combining many rooms. Many of our fragrances are bold and will scent an entire home, while others are light and were designed to achieve a soothing ambiance. Our recommendation for those with large living spaces is to have an additional candle to achieve maximum scent throw for those larger living spaces.
It could also be that you are just used to the scent so you can't smell it. You could also try putting your soy candle in a bathroom with the door closed. Walk in later to see if you can smell it. If you can, then that is a good sign that it's not the fragrance, it's the burning conditions. Small to medium sized soy candles can be very fragrant when burned in appropriate conditions and in appropriate sized rooms.
Drafts and/or extreme temperature changes can cause your candle to burn uneven and the fragrance will disperse leaving a poor aroma. Please try moving your candle to a draft-free location if you experience uneven burning.
Small to medium candles will almost never be able to fill a whole (large sized) room with fragrance. Example, a 14oz candle would be appropriate for a 20 X 20 room, any room bigger would require a larger or several candles in order for the desired scent distribution.
We pride ourselves on our wonderful smelling candles and add the maximum amount of fragrance oils that soy wax will hold! Please remember that all fragrances are NOT created equal. Some will put out a lot of fragrance in the jar, but not so much while burning. It all depends on how the raw ingredients in the fragrance oil/essential oils burn and dispense in the atmosphere. If you do not feel a certain fragrance is strong enough for your liking, then you will simply need to choose a different fragrance.
Soy Candle Burn Time for Glass Containers
Please remember 'safety first' when burning a glass container soy candle. You should never burn any candle for more than the recommended time specified by the manufacture. Burning a soy candle for longer than the recommended time could cause the glass to become over-heated and crack! This could result in hot wax leaking from the cracked glass. At JTCC, we use only candle approved glass and tin containers. Please use caution when burning any candle!
Soy Wax Characteristics
Soybean wax is a natural product and is created from soya beans and other natural botanical ingredients. Candles created from soybean wax are beautiful and they naturally have a frosting throughout the wax and often times, on the surface. Frosting on soy candles does not affect the burn of the candle and is harmless. When working with all natural soybean wax you will have natural characteristic that are unavoidable without additional additives in the wax. It is most noticeable in candles that have used dyes (colored wax). JTCC does NOT add any additional additives to it's wax or candles. Each separate fragrance may also cause discoloration in natural waxes. This is a natural process of the wax absorbing the fragrance. It is also a beautiful reminder of your pure soy wax product. After each burn you may get a ring of a different color around your soy candle. Once again, his is perfectly normal and does not, in any way, affect the burn or fragrance of your luxury soy candle.
Soot and Soy Candles
Anytime you have a flame, you do have soot. Yes, that is correct, you will find that no candle can be completely soot free, but soy wax candles with wood-wicks create much less soot and more importantly none of the toxins found in paraffin, gel, or animal wax candles. In fact, pure soy wax produces 95% less soot when burned properly. That means less black soot on your walls, ceilings, and furniture! Black soot is caused by a cotton wick that is smoking (in most soy candles this is typically caused by the wick being left un-trimmed). JTCC uses only wood-wicks that require very little care.
Unlike paraffin, gel, & animal waxes, our 100% all natural eco-friendly soy wax melts do not evaporate. JTCC wax melts should be melted only in an approved melt/tart warmer. Never add water to the soy wax melts. Remember, once you can no longer smell the fragrance, pour the melted wax in a trash receptacle. Our soy wax is biodegradable. NEVER pour wax down your sinks or drains as it can clog them as it cools. If spills occur, our soy wax cleans up with warm soapy water.
Additional Information on Candle Safety: Soy Candle Safety